Today I started! That is, I started to finish No Way Back (working title) the sequel to The Sleighriders – my fantasy novel. When I dragged up my old file I saw that I’d last worked on it in March 2010, and had about 11,000 words written. I really have no idea why it’s taken me so long to return to it. The skeleton story plan is kind of worked out, but now I’ll be looking to write another 80 or 90 thousand words or so.
Blimey, the wheels of writing turned so slowly this morning, as though the brakes were stuck on. Those first few sentences were like walking through treacle. I soon realised I had to ‘be there’ again, in the setting of The Sleighriders, hearing the characters, and seeing them again, being back in the atmosphere. Then of course there are new characters to think about, and a new path through a new book. It’s exciting!
I’ve put a hold on my other blogs until next spring in order to concentrate on the new book. The only other thing to accomplish this year was to publish The Sleighriders in paperback. I’ve just had my files accepted by Createspace and my proof is winging its way to me as we speak. It should be here on or about November 10th – just in time to try and promote for Christmas which is ideal because it’s a Christmas story.
In the meantime it’s nose to the keyboard! 🙂
Back in 2011 I published a fantasy novel called The Elf Girl’s Dream and at the time for some reason I liked the idea of using a pen-name; I’m really not sure now why I did that. As was my way I published on Amazon Kindle and then did absolutely no promotion, so just a few friends bought the book, and since then it’s grown cobwebs in the annals of the Amazon’s Kindle store.
With my new surge of enthusiasm and determination to do something about my work I decided Elf Girl needed a real facelift. First I did a complete edit, not to the story, just punctuation and a bit of tweaking here and there. Next I had to create a Table of Content which for some reason hadn’t worked on the first publishing. I don’t know why I didn’t fix that at the time. This turned into a nightmare and it took three attempts to get it all working, each time checking it in Amazon’s previewer which lets you see how your book will be seen on Kindle.
I wanted my own name on my book this time too so the pen name was binned. The next thing was the title which I’d never been entirely happy with. It kept coming across as possibly a gentle, dreamy book, which it definitely isn’t. I wanted a title that spoke of ‘movement’, of adventure, and danger, and so I eventually decided on The Sleighriders. With that in mind I created a brand new cover. It’s been quite a few weeks of work to bring the book back to life, but it’s been worth it. It also makes me realize yet again that what I love so much about writing is the creation process.
*If you’d like to leave a comment or a ‘like’ you need to click on the post title and the comments box will come up at the end of the post.
The Sleighriders can be found on Amazon under Kindle Books.